2013 Championship

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

"What Was I Thinking" - #3

Here are some examples from the top four finishers in the 2010 Club Championship. Remember that these all occurred during "game 30" conditions; although only one example actually occurred during time trouble. In order to try and fill the request from some of the members for more "instructional material" I am presenting these 4 positions before the blunder was made, try not to use a board, make the "blunder move" in your mind and then find the crushing response also without a board. Anyone having problems after a serious try can contact me for the solutions.

Weldin (W) vs Weaver (B) - Just before 16....Kb8??



Weldin (W) vs Farrell (B) - Just before 11......Nbd7??




Owens (W) vs Weldin (B) - Just before 8.....d6??





Fatula (W) vs Weldin (B) - just before 41.....Kxd4??

1 comment:

Ernie said...

Good stuff! Unfortunately I had the opportunity to make the first blunder above. 16...Kc8 HAD to be played (16...b6?? 17.Qa7+ Kc8 18.Ba6#), allowing a draw if Jerry so chooses, not that he would with his advantage! For example, 17.Qa8+ Kc7 (17...Qb8? 18.Qxb8+ Kxb8 +- and white's a pawn up) 18.Qa5+ etc. gives perpetual.

Another point is I never should have dropped the pawn on a7 to begin with. A few moves earlier, ...Kb8 would have sufficed.

I like the picture. It describes exactly how I felt, even though they are way out of my league.

Losing to Rudy on time was another blunder. I had a strong position, but Rudy managed his time better. Good job, Rudy!