2013 Championship

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

"Ned" Rosenbaum Dead At 71

It is always sad to hear of someone passing; even more so if it is in an unexpected accident. Stan Mullins called me a few minutes ago to report the untimely death of "Ned" Rosenbaum a member of the old "Blue Dragon" Chess Club. I didn't know "Ned" very well, but I remember that he was one of my opponents at two of my "simul's" conducted at the old "Blue Dragon" (both a restaurant and the nick name for the Nelson County Chess Club) and was a strong player, very intense at the board.

"Ned" drowned when his car went off the shoulder in flood waters near his home. Click here to read the report in today's Kentucky Standard.

My condolences to the Rosenbaum family.

Added 1 Dec by author. Here is a link to Ned's obituary in the Nelson County Gazette.

2 comments:

Johnny said...

I was saddened to hear of Ned's passing. I played him a couple of times at the "Blue Dragon Restaurant". He was a strong player and I remember him putting up quiet a fight in our games. My prayers go out to his family!

Stan Mullins said...

Ned's Funeral at the Monastary of Gethsemani was very nice and well attended. His circle of students, collegues, family and friends was very broad and ever growing. His family is doing as well as may be expected. I'll miss Ned. He was one of the smartest guys I've ever known, and a true lover of chess.