2013 Championship

Friday, July 15, 2011

Expanded Comment

I decided to do an "expanded comment" in response to Joe's comment concerning the July Rating Tournament.I will use my usual "shotgun" approach and address all the topics brought up in the 4 original comments and some which weren't!

The electricity was restored about 20 minutes after I got home.There goes one of my "throw away scores".

The lights were off at Johnny's house too. I think Debbie just went to Wal-Mart to ride it out; my wife's car was "trapped" in the garage. Still it must have caused Johnny some anxiety as he continued to play and carry out his TD duties. Thanks Johnny!

Congratulations to Joe for his second "Trifecta" of the year! Joe also went 3-0 in January before the "Championship Series" began.

Amy!! You have played great chess the last two weeks; you are peaking at just the right time to win the KY Women's Championship this weekend! I talked with Dave Brock today and he asked how you were doing as he was still smarting from his loss to you in the April Fool's Tournament! Good luck in Winchester Saturday.

Joe, you mentioned creating an imbalance in your game with Gelvic. I have learned this past year that that is the way to win games! I may have known it for a while but have only "formulated" it into my chess vocabulary this past year.

Joe, you have taught me not to offer a draw to higher rated opponents. You have to believe in your ability to win in a better position even if you are playing Bobby Fischer!

I must concentrate on playing better without getting into time trouble, while I can usually do well... old age and rough living are beginning to take their toll. Getting into time trouble and not keeping score throws away the ability to claim a draw by repetition among other things. Alas that is now "part of the game" and I make no excuses. That said... I intend to "draft" behind you as you become an "Expert" and join you in that Rating Class by the end of 2012!

Here is the game I lost to Joe Tuesday night. Comments are mine, caution you are entering a "Fritz Free Zone"!




Play online chess

2 comments:

Ernie said...

The problem I see with 19.Nxg6 (without Fritz) is 19...fxg6. For example, 20.Rxe7 gxf5 21.Rae1 Rxe7 22.Rxe7 fxg4. 19...Qxe1+ doesn't look best for black: 19...Qxe1+ 20.Rxe1 Rxe1+ 21.Kg2 Bf1+ 22.Kg3 Ne4+ 23.Kh4 hxg6 24.Qe5.

Jerry said...

Ernie is correct. I saw that during the game but the lateness of the hour and the 10 shots of gin must have fogged my memory. There was no double blunder.

Thanks for catching that Ernie! Glad to see that someone checks out the games.