2013 Championship

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Belay The Ego Mates

Bobby Fischer has been quoted as his favorite part of chess was when he knew he had crushed his opponents ego. Everyone has one and most chess player's are "super sized" with a win at all cost mentality. Look around at the "players" you know; are there some who will never share the secrets of their "pet" openings while others are happy to share the new "novelty" they have discovered before they have a chance to spring it on you?

This morning at Panera Bread, Darren and I were discussing this phenomenon as we exchanged ideas on a recently published New In Chess SOS article. I have found that Darren has always been open and willing to share with anyone, although he did once tell me not to buy a book on the "Dunst Opening" (in a joking manner) when he revealed his then favorite opening. With 63 kicking me in the butt and 64 (my favorite number) waiting in ambush two short months away; I have long ago gave up on being secretive and hope I have been open and above board in answering any request for chess help or advice. Some probably wish I wasn't so vocal with some of my opinions; not all are popular these days.

Now let me try to get back to the point. I have a new favorite saying thanks to Darren. Mark Twain said, "It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." My old "pickin' & grinnin'" buddy Jack Wheately said, "You raise a hog on slop, slop's what he likes." Today Darren Radford said, (concerning sharing information with other players); "When the tide raises, all the ships ride higher." Gee I wish I'd said that!

No comments: